Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment
The American Association of Orthdontics (AAO) recommends that every child receive an orthodontic screening by the age of seven. Some may wonder why it is necessary for such a young child who still has their baby teeth to be seen by an orthodontist, but early diagnosis and treatment can have many benefits such as:
- Improved speech.
- The ability to guide and monitor facial growth.
- Correcting habits such as thumb-sucking and tongue thrust.
- By straightening crooked teeth they will be easier to clean and prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- The ability to guide the path of erupting teeth.
- Prevention of extractions and surgical procedures later on.
- May reduce the amount of treatment time when the patient is older.
- Improved self-esteem.
If the orthodontist decides that early treatment is not necessary, they will continue to see the patient on a regular schedule to monitor their dental and facial development and determine when it is the appropriate time to begin orthodontic treatment.
Back to Blog